Increasing number of car buyers in India, we have lot of people worried about protecting their car from scratches, dull shine, bird dropping, water marks and swirl marks that happens over a period. We cannot prevent the car from these but we can protect the ca. We have different paint protections methods like waxing, Teflon coating which are widely used in the market. However, in the recent past, the demand increased for paint protection film and Ceramic coating, which are new in India. Let’s spend some time to understand what’s the truth about Ceramic Coatings? What are their benefits? What are their limitations? What will be best for your vehicle?
What is Ceramic Coating?
The ceramic coating consists of a liquid, which forms a kind of chemical bond with the factory paint. This makes the finishing of the car amazing. Once coated, it can only be removed by abrasion and not by any chemicals. If done correctly, ceramic coating can even last the lifetime of the car.
Types of Ceramic Coating for Cars
Polymer Ceramic Coating: Epoxy or polymer is a widely used type of ceramic coating that bonds with the factory paint coating of the car. That bond is permanent, as the paint and the polymer become one layer that is tougher and more resistant to damage. It is the reason why you cannot just wash away a layer of ceramic coating. The only way to remove the polymer coating is by polishing.
Quartz Ceramic Coating: Quartz coatings are, by design, harder than other types. Quartz or silicon dioxide coatings reach high levels of hardness that aim to armor the vehicle against debris and scratches. They preserve their fresh appearance and shiny look even after years of use and abuse.
Hybrid Ceramic Coating: Hybrid coatings are a combination of quartz and polymer. That type, which claims to have the best of both worlds, is supposedly harder and creates a protective shell around the vehicle. However, there is no evidence that hybrid coatings offer any extra protection than other types of coating.
Advantages of Ceramic Coating
After ceramic coating, your car will start looking completely new. The body of the car gets an amazing glow after its coating.
- Ceramic coating offers good protection to the car’s surface. The nano-coating can protect the car from most scratches, dirt, bird dropping, chemical contaminants and repel rain.
- Prevent UV damage, rust, and oxidization. For the most part, leaving your car in the sun for too long tends to cause the car’s paint to fade and even crack. The ultraviolet rays of the sun have a destructive effect on the car’s surface. Many ceramic coating brands prevent this damage as well as other forms of erosion such as rust and oxidization.
- Ceramic coating also lasts longer than regular paint. Since the coating is infused with the stock paint due to strong chemical bonding, the protection stays put even under heavy shocks and vibrations.
- Glossy finish. Regular car waxes have a warm appearance that gets dull when left out in the open. Compare that to the sharp candy appearance of a ceramic top coat. It gives the car a high-gloss finish that doesn’t fade under the sun or with the passage of time.
- A car with ceramic coating is also easier to clean. The body panels of a ceramic coated car will be smooth and free of abrasions. Such a surface offers no place for dirt to stick on to. Even if it does, a simple swipe with a clean cloth brings the car back to its radiant finish.
Disadvantages of Ceramic Coating
- Ceramic coating costs a lot. In such a situation, if your car is big, then your bill will also come higher.
- If the painting of the vehicle has been done before the ceramic coating, it is difficult to say whether it will last on the car or not. However, if the painting is done well, the ceramic coating will last or else it may crumble with the paint after some time. In both these conditions you will come to know later. In this case, if this is not done, then all your money can be wasted.
- Notice above we said a Ceramic Coating keeps your car looking like-new with comparatively minimal maintenance, not no maintenance. Let’s face it, the road is a dirty place. If you are driving your car, it will get dirty,? Even with a Ceramic Coating, you will still need to wash your car regularly in order to maintain its look. The benefit of a Ceramic Coating is that the cleaning process will be easier. Moreover, having a Ceramic Coating means that you will no longer have to wax your vehicle every few months, eliminating a significant part of maintaining your car’s exterior. Thus, a Ceramic Coating does not make your vehicle maintenance-free, but it does mean that with less work you will be able to maintain better results.
Ceramic Coating – Worth it or not?
The risk of rigging in both coatings is high. So get these coatings on your car with the same workshop that has reliability. In many workshops, the quality of the coating is heavily compromised. Here waxing or machine polishing is done in the name of coating. Apart from this, these workshops also make huge bills.
All the above-mentioned advantages and disadvantages of ceramic coating come at a high price. The market price of ceramic coating an average car is in the range of Rs.25,000 to Rs.50,000 or even more, depending on the quality and brand. Though it might be cheaper than PPF (Paint Protection Film), the price of ceramic coating is still high. In addition, if not done correctly or professionally, ceramic coating might look worse than the original paint finish of your car.
Everybody wants to keep their cars in their best shine all its life. Since ceramic coating offers protection for all the lifetime of the car, people still opt it even at a high cost. There are many reputed detailing shops in India, such as Ceramic Pro, Calgary, and 3M, which offers good quality ceramic coating. Its worth spend the hard-earned money on this when you choose to get it done by professionals.
If ceramic coating is not your thing, you can always opt for the lesser wax protection or the superior Paint Protection Film.